Concerns and Complaints

Blackshaw Moor First School Complaints Policy and Procedure

For the purpose of this policy and procedure, it is important to make a distinction between what is a complaint and what is an allegation against a person working with children.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is defined as an oral or written expression of dissatisfaction or concern you may have about facilities or  services provided by Blackshaw Moor First School for example, issues around fees, opening times, policies and procedures, staff ratios, food and drink or outings.

This does not include:

  • harassment and bullying
  • disciplinary or misconduct procedures
  • concerns about a child in relation to safeguarding
  • allegations against a person who works with children


These issues are covered by separate procedures.

The complaints procedure

It is understood that there may be times when individuals feel unhappy with the service they are receiving. It is hoped that in such situations, the parties concerned will feel able to discuss any concerns or issues that they may have with Mrs S Crawforth the schools complaints co-ordinator at Blackshaw Moor First School.

If individuals feel unable to discuss their concerns directly or that after such discussion, the matter remains unresolved then the individual may want to put their complaint in writing, addressing it to Mrs S Crawforth, Blackshaw Moor First School,  Buxton Road, Nr Leek. Staffordshire ST13 8TW.

Once a complaint has been received, either verbally or in writing the following process should be followed:

Using a separate complaints record, the named person responsible for dealing with complaints should record the following

  • The name of the person making the complaint.
  • The nature of the complaint.
  • The date and time of the complaint.
  • Action taken in response to the complaint including the date on which this was completed.
  • The outcome of the investigation e.g. measures taken to improve the service.
  • Details of information and findings given to the person making the complaint.
  • If the complaint was made in writing, the named person for dealing with complaints should respond, in writing within 28 days. A copy of this response would be kept on file.
  • A summary of the complaint made will be kept on file to provide, on request, to the individual and also for regulatory bodies such as Ofsted. This summary will not include the name of the person making the complaint.
  • Records should be kept for a minimum of 3 years.


If, during an investigation of a complaint, there is evidence that a person in a position of trust may have harmed a child, committed a criminal offence against a child, or behaved towards a child in a way that indicates they could pose a risk to children, then a referral must be made to the Local Authority.

Other matters which indicate there may have been a criminal offence committed may need to be referred to the local police station, for example theft of property.

Link to our complaints procedure